Dr Kai Xi
PhD-Materials Science (University of Cambridge)
BEng-Mechanical Engineering and Automation (Xi’an Jiaotong University)
MEng-Applied Chemistry (Nankai University)
Tel: + 44 1223 331953
My primary research interest is materials chemistry for renewable energy conversion and storage, especially for lithium-sulphur (Li-S) batteries, lithium-ion batteries and solar energy cells.
Selected scholarships & awards
2014: The prize of the Downing Enterprise Competition. Team name: HULK.
2013: The grand prize of the Dow Sustainability Innovation Student Challenge Award in Cambridge.
2012: The first prize of CSSA-UK High-level Entrepreneurship Challenge. Team name: CamBattery.
2012: Awarded ‘Technology Start up of the Year’ of CUE Business Creation Competition. Team name: CamBattery.
2011: Homerton College Research Grand.
2010-12: Cambridge Overseas Trust.
- K. Xi, B. Chen, H. Li, R. Xie, C. Gao, C. Zhang*, R. V. Kumar*, J. Robertson*. Soluble polysulphide sorption using carbon nanotube forest for enhancing cycle performance in a lithium sulphur battery. Nano Energy, 2015, 12, 538–546.
- Z. Fan, J. Liang, W. Yu, S. Ding,* S. Cheng, G. Yang, Y. Wang, Y. Xi, K. Xi,* R. V. Kumar. Ultrathin NiO nanosheets anchored on a highly ordered nanostructured carbon as an enhanced anode material for lithium ion batteries. Nano Energy, under revision.
- Z. Fan, Y. Xi, X. Xu, S. Cheng, G. Gao, C. Xiao, G. Yang, K. Xi*, S. Ding*. Facile fabrication of NiCo2O4@CMK-3 composites with nanosheets-mesopore structure as an enhanced anode material for lithium-ion batteries. Materials Horizon, under review.
- Electrical energy storage structures. UK Patent Application No: GB 1301639.9, Filed on 30 Jan 2013, PCT on 30 Jan 2014.
- Sulfur/porous carbon felt composite. Patent Application No: 201410208116.4. Filed on 19 May 2014.
- Inside Cover Image of Nanoscale http://pubs.rsc.org/en/content/articlelanding/2014/nr/c4nr90036g/unauth#!divAbstract
- Media Cover: American Institute of Physics https://www.aip.org/publishing/journal-highlights/future-batteries-lithium-sulfur-graphene-wrapper
- Dow Sustainability Innovation Student Challenge Award 2012–1 http://www.cisl.cam.ac.uk/about/who-we-work-with/awards/dow-award/award-winners
- Media Cover: Cambridge News http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Establishing-acomplete-green-cycle-cut-bills/story-22509997-detail/story.html
- 2015 CSSAUK High-level entrepreneurship challenge opening ceremony http://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/2015-cssauk-high-level-entrepreneurship-challenge-opening-ceremony-tickets-17226630315
- CCTV http://tv.cntv.cn/play/vod/240fa7fca6b449e284d9acadae8ff5b4_CN02